Prior to year 2006, this cave temple in Tambun, Ipoh, Perak was registered under the name of Persatuaan Penganut Nang Yang Koo Miau Toong Koong (or in short Nan Yang Koo Miau) and it was a Taoist Temple.
The history of the temple dates back to the mid-nineteenth century. In 1895, the temple was exempted from registration by order of the British Resident under the Registration of Society Order in Council no. 8.
The cave has an interesting history of more than 100 years and has been used continuously as a meditating abode by a solitary monk for many years then.
On 29th May 2005, the Committee of the TaoistTemple led by Chaiman Mr. Gu Sing Ka, decided to convert the temple into a Buddhist centre and resolved on that same day to donate the temple to his Very Venerable Thrangu Rinpoche. Rinpoche has graciously accepted the kind donation.